"Our aim is to know Christ and to make Him known"


Christ Church



The beautiful interior of Christ Church



The Union Jack located next to oak carved roll of honour (right)
 
Christ Church

Christ Church (pictured left) on Sheffield Road is the sister church to Holy Trinity and both share the same rector, David Horsfall.

The Foundation Stone of this church was laid on 5 September 1869 by the Venerable Thos. Hill B.D., Archdeacon of Derby, and consecrated on 20 September 1870 by the Bishop of Lichfield.

The Church includes a number of stained glass windows and one to the side of the East window is of special interest. This depicts two soldiers looking at an illuminated crucifix and is dedicated to bandsman Thomas William Stubley (Sidesman of this Church) who was killed in action 16 May 1916. It is understood that the deceased’s family chose this design because a postcard bearing this image was found on their son’s body. 

The north wall of the Chancel contains an oak carved ‘Roll of Honour’ to the men of Stonegravels who died in the First World War and was erected on 24 April 1919.

For many years the Church has had strong connections with the Armed Forces, and Chesterfield British Legion’s annual Remembrance Service is held here each November with the Mayor and local Councillors in attendance.
     
     

For further info or to enquire about weddings and baptisms contact:

Revd. David Horsfall

Tel: 01246 220860

djhorsfall@hotmail.com


Holy Trinity Rectory
31 Newbold Road
Chesterfield
S41 7PG