"Our aim is to know Christ and to make Him known"











 
George Stephenson


Holy Trinity is proud to be the guardian to the remains of this great man to whom the world owes a huge debt.

               


                              George Stephenson's grave


The actual Stephenson Memorial is inside the Church.  The original is on the East wall behind the altar and a larger one set in the floor of the chancel is a special commemorative plaque provided by the Institute of Mechanical Engineers.


He was buried in a vault behind the Communion Table, and the grave is marked merely by a rough slab of the Derbyshire stone flooring on which appears the simple legend 'G S 1848'.  The stained-glass east window was given in memory of Stephenson by his son, Robert, also a famous engineer and who, incidentally, is buried in Westminster Abbey.          
   
 
             

George Stephenson commemorative stained glass window donated by his son, Robert


 

 
     
     

For further info or to enquire about weddings and baptisms contact:

Revd. David Horsfall

Tel: 01246 220860

djhorsfall@hotmail.com


Holy Trinity Rectory
31 Newbold Road
Chesterfield
S41 7PG